Monday, December 5, 2011

Diabetes and Catholicism

Well, I noticed I haven't done any blog posts in almost a year after saying I would be more active. I guess that's not working good for me. Well, today I am going to focus more on my diabetes. What does diabetes have to do with Catholicism? Well, in my case a lot. You see I have had diabetes for a number of years and haven't been taking care of myself. I went to the doctors last week and was told if I didn't start controlling my diabetes I would eventually die. It would also be a slow painful death with the result being my legs chopped off, losing my eyesight and having to go on dialysis 3 times a week.

I was at the point of despair and at that point I didn't care about whether I lived or died or not. I posted this story on Fisheaters and I got a lot of prayers and encouragement. Then I went to confession and my priest also gave me some good advice about not despairing and giving up but taking this as a wakeup call and doing the steps I need to do to get my sugars under control.

You see, the body is the temple of the Holy Ghost and if we don't take care of our body, it is a serious sin. I went to the office of the apartment complex I live at to get the key for the fitness room on Saturday. On Sunday after Mass I made my first trip to the fitness center. I can access it 24/7 so there is no excuse not to exercise. They have some bikes, a tread mill, some dumbbells and an elliptical machine. It's not bad and has what I need. I also need to stop eating after supper. That's a big problem for me. I always binge eat after supper, particularly between 10PM and midnight. So, I have decided to cut that out.

This was my first day after exercising and before I went to bed Sunday night my blood sugar was 190. It's not great, but considering the numbers have been running in the 300s it's a lot better. Then when I woke up Monday morning, my blood sugar was 111 which is perfect for a fasting reading! I feel really good about this and I think this is going to work. The other thing I want to get better at is I want to start going to bed earlier. I went to bed at about 1AM last night and was up at 8AM this morning which is a lot better then I have been doing. Lately, I have been sleeping until 10am-noon which is unhealthy.

Keep me in your prayers because this is something I need to do to help me get better. God Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment